An official website of Arlington County Government

National Library Week: What’ll It Be?

National Library Week and Santa come but once a year, but like the sunrise and the Potomac’s tides, Arlington Public Library is here for you on a daily basis.

Cherrydale girl

So permit us to ask: What keeps you coming back to the Library–be it a book club, a collection, a children’s program, a specific room, a research database, a downloadable or even one of our gardens? Please leave your responses in the comments area below.women's club

And since April 15 is National Library Workers Day, feel free to name names if you have a favorite staff person or volunteer who never fails to make your Library experience a flawless one.

And if you agree that libraries are an essential part of your community and a democratic society, you’ll want to sign the Declaration for the Right to Libraries.

old cp

Although not written by our Virginia neighbor Mr. Jefferson, he would clearly be in support of this new Declaration. As he said, “A library book lasts as long as a house, for hundreds of years. It is not then an article of mere consumption but fairly of capital.”

So enjoy your Library 52 weeks a year or, if you prefer, for hundreds of years to come.

We’ll be here.

Comments (6)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Kristen Fredericksen says:

DVDs, popular books, and OverDrive keep me coming back to the library (and recommending it to my friends).

2. Alaina Onakwa says:

My kids and I adore Mariela’s storytimes. She’s like Mary Poppins.

3. Louis says:

Great DVD collection.

4. Marie says:

The library has always been a quiet place where I can catch up on work. But a few years ago it was our refuge when we lost power in the derecho. I hope we never need it again to charge phones and have a/c.

5. Greg Embree says:

For me, the library is like a giant candy store where everything is free. The ability to put a hold on a book from one’s home computer is especially wonderful.

6. Suzanne says:

I have always turned to library books when I sought guidance with new issues that arise in my life such as assisting my elderly parents. And it’s always great to leave the library able to read for free all the books I can carry — a real gift!

Our branch’s book discussions are always great places to exchange ideas. I enjoy seeing the regular discussion attendees, and I find that the library meetings attract interesting people who often have lived or worked in a country in which the book is set or have some other expert knowledge of the subject of the book.

We love to know what you think about our news and events. We read all comments, and post a selection of them here on the blog.

We do ask that comments stay on topic - for more guidelines on what we consider appropriate feedback, see our comment policy. If you have concerns or urgent questions that require a response, please email the Library.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.