Apply Now for Summer 2014 Openings
Looking for something interesting to do this summer?
Become a Library volunteer and you could help run Summer Reading, prep for storytime, fill hold requests, or capture video of cool programs!
Fill out an online application
Application Deadline: Thursday, May 15, 2014
Special Projects: July – August
- Aurora Hills Branch Library
- Shirlington Branch Library
Storytime Craft Assistant: July 8 – Aug. 9
Make craft time run smoothly! Set up the craft materials, help kids make their crafts, and help the librarian clean up.
- Westover Branch Library (day and time TBD)
- Cherrydale Branch Library (Thursdays 10:15-11:15 a.m.)
Storytime Craft Prep Assistant: July 8 – Aug. 9
Must be available to volunteer 1 hour per week for five weeks. Prepare craft materials. May include cutting, gluing, and sorting materials into individual packets.
- Westover Branch Library, day and time negotiable
Summer Reading Sign-Up Assistant: June – August
Sign kids up for summer reading on the library laptop, explain how the program works, and give kids all the materials they need. When not signing kids up, you will be making packets of materials, writing reviews of teen books, or putting carts of books in order.
- Two hour shifts, once a week: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., 1:00 – 3:00 p.m., or 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Central Library [FILLED]
- Westover Branch Library
Teen Display Creator: July or August
Come in once a week to set up a new display in the teen area. You pick the theme, use the catalog to find teen books that fit the theme, and create a sign to explain what the books are about.
- Westover Branch Library, 2 hours per week for either July or August
Jack/Jill of All Trades: July – August
Help with morning delivery of holds or afternoon weeding projects and reports on weekdays, or the morning paging list on Saturday mornings.
- Cherrydale Branch Library, 2 – 4 hours per week
Videographer: May – July (possibility to extend into fall)
Take video of irregular evening events such as Theater Talks and Author Panels. Most programs start at 7:00 p.m., with set-up at 6:30 p.m. Qualifications: We are looking for someone with experience using a video camera. Applicants for this position must be in 11th grade or older; those 18 years and older must consent to a background check.
- Central Library and Shirlington Branch Library, 6:30 – 9:00 p.m.
- Middle school or high school
- Willing to commit to a regular schedule and set number of hours
- Reliable, dependable, & enjoy working with the public and helping people
For more information please contact Barbara Dean, Library Volunteer Coordinator, at 703-228-7688 or email@example.com.