Since some of the collection is kept at a repository off-site, please phone or email ahead to assure that the material you wish to use will be available when you arrive.
- Arlington area maps from 1600s to present
- Topographic maps
- Sanborn Insurance Maps of Arlington County
- Regional and state maps
- Census (local microfilm reels)
- Family Histories (local)
- Court Records (local)
- PERSI (Periodical Source Index)
Newspapers - Local newspapers on microfilm, and indexed since 1981
- Harper’s Weekly and/or Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper for the 1860s
- Alexandria Gazette, Feb. 1784-Dec. 1811 and Nov. 8, 1924-Feb. 13, 1936
- County Board meetings dating back to 1983 (more recent meetings are available online or at Plaza Library)
- Committee of 100 meetings
- Selected library programs on Arlington history
- Clippings from newspapers and magazines, pamphlets and other uncataloged material.
- Two general files: the Arlington or local history file and a file for the state of Virginia.
- Interviews with knowledgeable residents, community activists, county officials, etc.
- County, telephone and real estate directories: Random issues from 1912 to present
- Magazines and journals related to local history and Virginia
- Arlington Historical Magazine, indexed
- Acts of Assembly, House and Senate Documents, House and Senate Journals
- Tracking of General Assembly bills available from librarians
- Local, regional, and state
Local History Projects
Arlington Remembers: An Oral History or 9/11 Project
In commemoration of the 5th anniversary of the attacks of September 11th, 2001, we completed an oral history project, recording the memories of firefighters, police officers, educators and Arlington citizens. Virginia Room staff collected over 30 interviews with people of all backgrounds, each with their own unique set of experiences and opinions about September 11th and how it affected Arlington and the United States as a whole. This oral history project is filled with visceral images and thoughtful reminiscences that capture a historic day through many different eyes. Learn more.
Arlington’s Smart Growth Journey
This AVN Documentary traces the dramatic history of the past half-century of growth and development in our community. Learn more.