Full Renovation Will Create Improved 1st Floor Library
Access to the Columbia Pike Branch book drop and parking lot Wi-Fi will be unavailable during construction.
The full renovation will create a significantly improved library space for patrons on the first floor.
The Columbia Pike Library, currently closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, is beginning a long-planned renovation project. The first floor of the library will undergo a full renovation to include more efficient use of floor space and shelving, more small public meeting room spaces, improved lighting, and new furniture, carpet and paint.
The current second floor of the library will be converted to a classroom and multi-use space for the adjoining Arlington Career Center. The renovated second floor space will be available to the community as a public meeting and gathering space on the evenings and weekends, in cooperation with Arlington Public Schools (APS).
What is the timeline of the construction and when will the Columbia Pike Library re-open?
- Construction is scheduled to begin in early August and will go through late Fall 2020.
- All library neighborhood branches are currently closed to the public due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Holds-only pickup of books and DVDs is underway at Central Library. Following completion of construction, the County will evaluate when to reopen the Columbia Pike library based on Covid-19 conditions and health and safety guidelines in place at that time.
What are the immediate changes for residents and library patrons?
- The book drop at Columbia Pike will close as of Friday, July 17.
- All other book drops remain open.
- Wi-Fi in the parking lot at Columbia Pike will no longer be available after Wednesday, July 22.
How can residents access library and expanded Wi-Fi services going forward?
- Expanded Wi-Fi remains available in the parking lots at Central Library and Aurora Hills Library.
- The library’s eBook and eAudiobook collection is available and has expanded offerings.
- The status of County facilities is uncertain moving forward due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Currently, holds-only pickup of books and DVDs is underway at Central Library.
- The library will continue to evaluate what library services can be offered safely for patrons and staff. Expanded offerings beyond the holds-only pickup service at Central library may be available at one or more libraries in the future.
The School Board and County Board members first met with the community about this project on November 18, 2019. For more information on the Arlington Career Center Expansion project and Arlington Public Schools use permit for this construction project, please see Item 34 from the June 13, 2020 County Board agenda and continue to follow the APS design and construction page for the Arlington Career Center Expansion updates.