With Summer Reading in full swing, Arlington Public Library is prioritizing expansion of in-person service and increased access to library collections this summer. The Library is currently hiring and training additional staff to prepare for this phased reopening after an unprecedented staff shortage due to the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent hiring freeze.
The Express Library Service model will be in place across the Library system until the Library is closer to normal staffing levels.
Opening This Summer
Aurora Hills, the newly renovated Columbia Pike and Central Library will reopen for Express Library Service on July 6. Join us for the Columbia Pike Library Grand Reopening Celebration and Ribbon Cutting on Thursday, July 8.
- Central Library will expand from Holds Pickup to Express Library Service.
- Operating hours to be announced closer to opening date.
- All open branches will prioritize access to library collections.
- Meeting rooms, spaced seating and public PCs will be reinstated as soon as staffing allows.
- Storytime will resume branch-wide once staffing increases.
- The Center for Local History at Central Library will open by appointment later this summer.
Fall Expansion of Services
Cherrydale and Glencarlyn Library will reopen Fall 2021.
- Programming will expand across the Library system as staffing increases
- The Shed, the Library’s seasonal garden-tool lending service, will remain closed for the 2021 growing season for staffing reasons, with plans to reopen in 2022.
- The Shop, the Library’s maker space, will remain closed until staffing allows for increased levels of programming.
- The Plaza branch will remain closed in preparation for a long-planned expansion and renovation.
The Library is no longer quarantining returned items. However, due to staffing shortage, items may not get checked in for several days after they have been returned in a book drop. If over 7 days have passed since you returned your library items and they remain on your account, please contact the Library to update your account.
In anticipation of reopening additional branches and expanded programs, we wanted to thank our patrons and the Arlington community for your continued support and patience during these past 15 months. We look forward to seeing you back at the library!
As always, we value your feedback. Tell us what you think about our Library services. We will read and consider all comments.