News Release: July 2, 2021
Starting July 6, Arlington residents and Library patrons will have access to five open library locations — Aurora Hills, Central, Columbia Pike, Shirlington and Westover libraries.
Arlington Public Library will prioritize access to library collections, reintroduce core library services and feature new operating hours across the system. The Express Library Service model and Central Library’s Holds-Only Pickup Service will end, and all holds will now be available for self-serve access inside library locations.
New Hours at all Five Open Locations
- Monday/Tuesday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Wednesday/Thursday: 12 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- Friday/Saturday: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Available starting Tuesday, July 6
- Full access to Library’s collections and unlimited browsing time with no capacity limits at all open locations
- Self-service holds pickup at all open locations
- Spaced seating for public Wi-Fi and study use
- Public copiers / scanners at all open locations except Westover
- Account management assistance
- Full access to public restrooms and water fountains
- Parking garage at Central Library
The Center for Local History at Central Library will be open to the public by appointment after July 6. Outdoor and Indoor Storytime programs will start in late July.
The Library has been steadily working all spring to fill a high number of vacant public service jobs after an unprecedented staff shortage due to the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent hiring freeze. Hiring and training new staff will continue this summer with the goal of arriving at more normal staffing levels in the Fall.
As Arlington Public Library continues to reopen in stages, patrons will have access to expanded library services.
After August 6
- Public PCs will be available.
- Meeting spaces will be bookable online for public use.
- Indoor programming will expand across the Library system as staffing increases.
- Book donations will be accepted by the Friends of the Arlington Library at all locations.
Fall Expansion of Services
- Sunday hours will return after Labor Day.
- Friends of the Arlington Public Library book stores will reopen in the Fall.
- Cherrydale and Glencarlyn Library will reopen Fall 2021.
Additional Service Updates
- When visiting the Library, the Arlington County Visitor Face Covering Policy is in effect.
- The Shed, the Library’s seasonal garden-tool lending service, will remain closed for the 2021 growing season for staffing reasons, with plans to reopen in 2022.
- The Shop, the Library’s maker space, will remain closed until staffing allows for increased levels of programming.
- The Plaza branch will remain closed in preparation for a long-planned expansion and renovation.
During the first week of reopening, the public is invited to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony and community celebration of the newly renovated Columbia Pike Library on Thursday, July 8, 4 - 6 p.m. Join members of the County Board, the County Manager and Library Director Diane Kresh in the ribbon cutting ceremony, followed by family-friendly events, music and ice cream, and a tour of the transformed Library Branch.
As always, we value your feedback. Tell us what you think about our Library services. We will read and consider all comments.