Revisting Jane Eyre with Jasper Fforde
Reminder: this is a spoiler-filled podcast. So if you’re not into that kind of thing, read the books first and come back later.
For December we read the 1847 novel by Charlotte Brontë, “Jane Eyre.” Originally published under the pen name Currer Bell, as “Jane Eyre: An Autobiography,” the novel follows the experiences of the eponymous heroine, including her growth into adulthood and love for the brooding Mr. Rochester.
The Eyre Affair, by English author Jasper Fforde, was first published in 2001. It takes place in an alternative 1985, where literary detective Thursday Next pursues a master criminal through the world of Charlotte Brontë's 1847 novel Jane Eyre.
If you’d like to make a suggestion for future reading send us your recommendations on the Big Book Club Podcast page.
- “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Brontë
- “The Eyre Affair” by Jaspar Fforde
- "Wide Sargasso Sea" by Jean Rhys
- “Charge of the Light Brigade” poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
- “The Life and Adventures of Martin Chuzzlewit” by Charles Dickens
- “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" poem by WIlliam Wordsworth
- The Cranberries - Daffodil Lament (Lyric Video)
- Jennie – “Love, Comment, Subscribe,” by Cathy Yardley; “Cyborg Detective: Poems” by Jillian Marie Weise
- Pete – “Young Bucks: Killing the Business” by Matt and Nick Jackson; “Paperback Crush” by Gabrielle Moss