Library Services are closed on Sunday, April 4. Services will resume on Monday, April 5.
Due to the winter weather forecast, Central Library Holds Pickup Service will be closed on Saturday, Feb. 13.
Holds – Holds set to expire on Saturday, Feb. 13 will be extended until the next day Central Library is open.
Central Library’s Holds Pickup Service will close at 4 p.m. on Sunday, January 24 and will remain closed on Monday, January 25 after a staff member tested positive for COVID-19. This staff member did not have recent contact with the general public and there is no concern for exposure to library patrons.
As a precaution, Central Library will undergo a deep cleaning and sanitizing. Any items currently on the hold shelf and due to be picked up will be extended an extra day. Customer Service help via phone and online chat will remain available during all regularly scheduled hours. Central Library Holds Pickup Service will resume Tuesday, January 26.
Arlington Public Library works closely with the Arlington County Department of Public Health and will follow recommended procedures to protect the health of staff and patrons.
- Holds due to be picked up Sunday, Jan. 24 and Monday, Jan 25 will be available on Tuesday, Jan. 26.
Effective 5:45 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 6.
The Holds Pickup Service and all staffed Library Services are closed due to a local curfew affecting Alexandria and Arlington.
In July, patrons placed over 50,000 items on hold for pickup. Due to the increased demand for holds and in order to provide a safe, contact-less holds-pickup service, patrons will experience longer than usual wait times for holds to come ready.
How do you know when your hold is ready?
- You will receive a holds pick-up notice by email or text.
- You can also track the status of your holds in your library account online or in the Library App.
How long should you expect to wait for your holds to come ready?
- Wait times for items showing in the catalog as “available” will vary but may take several weeks to fulfill.
- Wait times for items with waiting lists are longer than usual as returned items must be quarantined for 72 hours.
What can you do to help?
- Pick up your holds as soon as you are able, to help make room on the shelves for new holds.
- Freeze or cancel any holds you are not interested in receiving before they come ready.
We are continually evaluating workflows to improve hold wait times. Thank you for your patience and support as we work to keep Arlington reading!
Arlington Public Library
Due to a maintenance issue, Cherrydale Branch Library will be closed Friday, March 6.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Please check back for updates.
Toni Morrison, the 1993 Nobel laureate in literature, whose work explored black identity in America and in particular the experience of black women, died on Monday, August 6, 2019. She was 88.
George H. W. Bush, 41st President of the United States
June 12, 1924 – November 30, 2018