Arlington Public Library Offers Free Notary Services to the Public
Notary services are available at all Library locations, Monday through Friday, from opening until 4 p.m.
No appointment is necessary, but please call ahead to your preferred location to ensure that a notary is available.
What to Bring
Patrons seeking notarization must bring:
- Unsigned document(s)
- Valid government issued photo identification
- Any required witnesses (Library employees and patrons should not be asked to serve as witnesses)
Government issued photo identification must be provided by all signers, even if the signer is “known.” Please make sure that your identification card is current and in a language understandable to the notary.
Notaries may decline to notarize a document for any reason, including if:
- The document is prepared in a format unfamiliar to the notary
- The notary is uncertain of the identity or the mental capacity of the signer
- The document is in a language that the notary is unable to read or understand
- The document requires verification of facts
Notarization of wills is at the discretion of the notary.
- By law, Virginia notaries are not authorized to certify true copies of birth, death or marriage certificates.
- Library notaries are not trained or certified to practice law. As such we cannot provide assistance in prescribing or determining the particular document you may need, preparing documents or giving advice on how to complete documents.