The Library will work to accommodate your preferred appointment time. A staff member will contact you within 36 business hours regarding your appointment.
Free Notary Services to the Public
Terms and Conditions
- Appointments: Notary services are provided by appointment only.
- Documents to be notarized: Bring complete, unsigned paper documents (all pages) to be notarized. The Library does not provide electronic notarial acts, notarization of digital documents, or remote online notarization.
- Photo ID: All signers, including witnesses, must provide a current photo ID. All photo IDs must be in a language the notary understands.
- Witnesses: Please bring any witnesses you need to your appointment. Library staff cannot serve as witnesses, and customers cannot ask other Library patrons to serve as witnesses. Witnesses must provide a current photo ID.
Library staff may decline to notarize documents for any reason.
Birth, Death and Marriage:
- By law, Virginia notaries are not authorized to certify true copies of birth, death, or marriage certificates.
Library staff may decline to notarize documents if:
- They are uncertain of the identity or mental capacity of the signer.
- A document is in a language they cannot read.
- A document requires verification of facts.
Library staff will not notarize:
- Real estate closings
- I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
- Documents that require more than 10 signatures
Notary Appointment Requests
"*" indicates required fields