- Place a hold to reserve checked-out material, or to have an item transferred to another library location.
- You may have 30 physical items on hold at a time, and 10 holds on eCollection materials.
- You have 5 days to pick up a hold once you've been notified.
- You must have the requestor's library card to check out a hold.
What can be placed on hold?
Holds can be placed on all items except:
- Reference materials
- Kids board books
- Items at Plaza Branch Library
How will I be notified about my hold?
We prefer to send notices by email. If you have opted for telephone notification, automated phone calls are made daily between noon to 3 p.m. and between 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. We will attempt to notify you up to five times.
- Log into your Library account and choose "Account Settings.”
- Switch “Receive SMS/Text Messages,” to On, and enter your mobile phone number.
- Save changes by clicking "Update Contact Information."
How do I pick up a hold?
Hold items are kept on open, self-service shelves at all Library locations. Reminder: you must have the requestor’s library card to check out a hold.
How can I check the status of my hold?
- Log in to your account.
- Click on the "Titles on Hold" section.
- View the request status; it will reflect your position in queue.
- As your hold approaches, these statuses may show: "In Transit", "Hold Being Shelved", "Ready, must pick up by XXXX."
- Problems? Call 703-228-5990
How can I cancel my hold online?
- Login to your account.
- Click on the "Titles on Holds" section.
- Check the "Cancel" box next to each title.
- Click "Save Changes."
- Cancel holds that are ready for pick-up using this form.
- Problems? Call 703-228-5990
- Holds can also be cancelled in person, by telephone, or by email.
I am going out of town. How can I avoid missing my holds?
You can "freeze" any of your holds that are in the "Holds - Not Ready" section of your account.
- To freeze your hold: Login to your account, view your holds, check the "Freeze Hold" button next to each title, then wait for the confirmation screen.
- A frozen hold will continue to move up in the queue. If the hold reaches #1, it will remain there.
- The "Freeze Hold" function does not appear when:
- Items are listed under the “Holds – Ready” section of your account
- The item is “In Transit” to fill your hold
- You are first in the queue for that item
- All the holds ahead of you are frozen
How do I release my frozen holds?
Uncheck the “Thaw Hold” button next to each title, and await the confirmation screen.
How do I request a shelf check?
Shelf checks are non-automated holds on available material for same-day pickup or transfer. Please place your hold online whenever possible.
- Call a Library Location during business hours to request a shelf check
- Be prepared to wait on the line while library staff check the shelves and pull the item
- Shelf-checked items will be held at the library for 48 hours, or transferred to another library for pickup
- Transfers between libraries may take up to three days. You are not notified when the item arrives, but you may call the pickup location to inquire