Place a hold to reserve checked-out material, or to have an item transferred from one Arlington Public Library location to another.
- You may have 30 physical items on hold at a time, and 10 holds on items from Libby.
- You have 5 days to pick up a hold once you've been notified.
- You must have the requestor's library card or their account in your Library App to check out a hold.
What can be placed on hold?
Holds can be placed on all items except:
- Reference materials
- Kids board books
- Grab & Go collection
- Garden tools
- The Shop makerlab materials
How will I be notified about my hold?
We send all Library notices by email. You can also opt-in to receive some notices via text message and in the Library App. Learn more about Library notices.
How do I pick up a hold?
- Hold items are kept on open, self-service shelves at all Library locations.
- Holds are shelved by username. If you have never selected a username, the default username on your account is your name: FirstMiddle.Last or First.Last.
- Holds must be checked out at the Library service desk or a self-checkout station.
- Reminder: You must have the requestor's library card or their account in your Library App to check out a hold.
How can I check the status of my hold?
- In Transit
- Hold Being Shelved
- Ready, must pick up by XXXX (date)
Problems? Call the Library location where you intend to pick up your hold.
How can I cancel my hold?
Cancel holds that are Not Yet Ready for Pickup in your Library account or the Library App. Problems? Call the Library location where you intended to pick up your hold or email Library staff using this form.
Holds that are Ready for Pickup can only be canceled by sending Library staff an email using this form.
How do I request a shelf check?
Shelf checks are requests for same-day pickup of available Library material, at the current Library location.
- Call a Library location during business hours to request a shelf check.
- Be prepared to wait on the phone while library staff check the shelves and pull the item.
If you want an available item transferred from one Library location to another, please place a hold on the item.
Freeze and Thaw Your Holds
Don't want all of your holds to come in at the same time? Going out of town? You can freeze items in your Library account and the Library App. A frozen hold will continue to move up in the queue and will not activate until thawed. If the hold reaches #1, it will remain there until you unfreeze it.
Holds can't be frozen when:
- Items are Ready for Pickup in your account
- Items are In Transit to fill your hold