Express Yourself With Literary “Backbone”
For National Poetry Month, the Library is holding an all-ages contest for original Spine Poetry.
- Open to all ages
- Poems must be submitted in photographic form (see examples)
- Poems must be created by stacking book, DVD, audiobook or CD spines (feel free to mix media)
- Each participant may submit up to 3 poems
- In order to collect a prize, winners must come to the Central Library
How to Enter (3 easy ways)
- Email your photograph(s) as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tag your photograph(s) on twitter, tumblr or instagram with #APLSpinePoetry
- Add you photograph(s) to the Arlington VA Public Library Spine Poetry Contest flickr group
Deadline for Submissions – Saturday, April 20, 2013
Public Voting will take place online from April 21 – April 28, and in person at Poetry Open Mic Night on April 30 at the Aurora Hills Branch Library. Then the winners will be chosen by our Guest Judges, and announced in early May.
Who are the Guest Judges?
- Evan Smith Rakoff is a freelance writer and the Assistant Online Editor of Poets & Writers Magazine.
- Chandi Kelley is a local artist who’s recent series Timelines uses book spines to create the basis for visual narratives that explore how we record our lives and personal histories.
For more information about the Spine Poetry Contest, contact Geoff Koury at 703 228-0326 or email@example.com.