The following are prohibited in the Library:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Smoking/Use of any tobacco products
- Animals (except service animals)
- Offensive bodily hygiene or condition of personal effects
- Community health risks, including but not limited to open sores, lice, communicable disease, etc.
- Inadequate attire, including lack of shoes and shirts
- Boisterous behavior, including harassing or threatening patrons and staff
- Obstructing or monopolizing any library space*
- Leaving personal items unattended**
- Damaging library materials/property or removing them without permission
- Inappropriate use of restrooms for grooming, bathing, washing clothes
- Failing to adequately supervise children or others requiring care
- Leaving children under age 11 unattended
- Soliciting or distributing literature except in designated areas
- Use of library computers/Internet access in violation of Virginia Code***
- Use of library equipment to infringe on copyright protections of materials****
Considerate consumption of snack food or a covered beverage is allowed in the library, unless otherwise noted; staff has the final say on what is permissible. Proper disposal of containers is required.
A person who fails to observe these rules may be asked to leave and could have future access to the Library limited or suspended. The Library works in partnership with the Arlington County Police Department to keep its facilities, patrons and staff safe.
*Library may limit size/number of parcels carried into Library to what can be placed securely under chair or table.
**Library is not responsible for and may dispose of personal belongings left unattended inside or outside facility.
***Virginia Code1 §18.2-374.1:1 (child pornography), Virginia Code §18.2-372 through §18.2-374 (obscene materials) or §18.2-377 (obscene materials)
****Title 17, U.S. Code
(Adopted 6/20/95-Arlington Public Library Leadership Team; revised 6/30/98; revised 9/16/99; revised 9/15/2005; revised 6/15/06; revised 4/21/09; revised 8/24/11; revised 1/17/2012; revised 12/12/2013)