Discoveries in the Stacks is the Westover Branch Library’s bi-weekly exploration of our collection, delving into areas that you may not have visited yet.
This week we highlight the 740’s section of the JRoom. Long summer days are great times to get crafty!
- Want an alternative to video games? Build your own wooden toys and games, like a penny shooter or a gumball catapult, with some basic wood-working tools and Zany Wooden Toys That Whiz, Spin, Pop and Fly by Bob Gilsdorf. J745.592 GILSD
- Todd Oldham’s Kid Made Modern is a 21st century craft book. Learn about influential Modernist designers and the materials and art techniques they used while making cool jewelry, clothing and furnishings for your room. You’ll be able to make many of these crafts with materials you already have on hand. Make a necklace from Mardi Gras beads and bobbi pins, a set of origami-covered twinkle lights, or even a kaleidoscope-style movie following the instructions in this book. You won’t be bored! J745.5 OLDHA
- Want to try out a needlecraft? Jane Bull’s, Made By Me, teaches the basic techniques of sewing, knitting and embroidery with simple patterns and charming projects, like button and embroidery embellished T-shirts, pixelated needle point pictures and fancy felt enhanced headbands. These projects are irresistible. J746.4 BULL
- If you decide you want to learn more about a specific needlecraft, check out a title from the “Start To” craft series. Make a present or something new for yourself. Check out Start to Bead – J 745.0582 THOMA or Start to Knit – J746.42 DUPER These books are filled with projects you’ll be proud to share.
- The Unofficial Lego Builder’s Guide, by Allan Bedford, is a great way to be creative with all those Lego bricks you probably have stored in boxes at home. It is an entry into an entire Lego universe. Written for the older child, adults will find it an equally fascinating place to begin building unique models. Find it at J688.725 BEDFO
These are just a new few titles in our children’s craft section. Take a look at the shelves, you are sure find something to keep you busy when it’s too hot to go outside.
See you next time in another part of the stacks!