Learn to Research the History of Your Home
Arlington Historical Society, the Arlington County Historic Preservation Office, Arlington Public Library’s Center for Local History and Preservation Arlington teamed up in May 2015 for an instruction workshop at Central Library to help residents:
• Learn how to research the history of their own home or any historic property in Arlington.
• Use the collection of maps, building permit data, photo archives and other materials available at Central Library’s Center for Local History and the Arlington County Historic Preservation Office.
• Be guided through the available resources, no matter their skill level.
The workshop consisted of two parts:
- An introduction to available resources that will be illuminated through two case studies
- A hands-on exploration of historical records in the Center for Local History
The sponsors were fortunate to have two eminently qualified specialists to lead the workshop: Matthew Gilmore, a longtime student of local history and presenter of many such workshops on homes in Washington; and Cynthia Liccese-Torres, Coordinator of Arlington’s Historic Preservation Office, who oversees the county’s historic preservation activities and has researched dozens of historic Arlington properties.