Join us for two special storytimes with the Arlington Fire Department.
Arlington Public Library will host two special storytimes with the Arlington Fire Department on Tue., Oct. 11 at 10:15 and 11:00 a.m. at Central Library.
Children, families and caregivers are invited to sing, have fun and learn about fire prevention. Provided there are no emergencies, children will have the opportunity to visit a fire truck and meet a firefighter.
These storytimes will take place outdoors on the grassy area adjacent to the parking lot and Quincy Park. Bring a blanket from home to sit on.
Attendance is first-come, first-served. No registration is required. Storytime programs are moved indoors in the event of inclement weather.
Come, join us. Always free, always open, always safe!
Fire Prevention Week
This year’s FPW campaign – "Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape." — works to educate everyone about simple but important actions you can take to keep yourself and those around you safe from home fires.
Here are a few safety tips from the Arlington County Fire Department:
- Make a home escape plan and know at least two ways out of every room. Draw a map of your home showing all the doors and windows. Discuss the plan with everyone in your home.
- Have an outside meeting place at a safe distance from the home.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year, once at night and once during the day.
- Practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own.
- Close doors behind you as you leave.
- If the smoke alarm sounds, GET OUT AND STAY OUT. Never go back inside for people or pets.
- If you must escape through smoke, GET LOW AND GO under the smoke.
- Call 911 from outside the house.