The Center for Local History’s Community Archives contains many collections pertaining to women’s history, and the history of Arlington County. Their contributions to the growth and development of their community were immense, and Arlington today would not be the same without them.
Arlington Community Archives Research Usage Policies
- Material from the Community Archives does not circulate and must be used in the Research Room.
- Briefcases, backpacks, coats, and all items not needed for research must be stored in the lockers adjacent to the reference desk.
- Researchers must sign the register daily and present valid photo identification.
- Prior to receiving access to collection material, researchers must complete a research application.
- Please exercise care and good judgment in handling collection material.
- Use a pencil only.
- Use only one box or folder at a time.
- Maintain the filing order of the materials within each file and box.
- Do not trace or rub any portion of a map, photograph, or document.
- Use gloves for handling original photographs, not protected in Mylar sleeves. White cotton gloves will be provided by the staff.
- A copy machine is available for patron use. Please obtain permission to copy archival materials.
- Photograph reproductions and scans of images in the collection are possible, with restrictions, for a fee. Patron-owned scanners are prohibited, and digital photography by patrons is prohibited except for oversized maps and plat books. Please speak to the staff for details and reproduction costs.
- The patron is responsible for obtaining any necessary copyright interests and/or literary rights from the owners/donors/heirs pursuant to publishing any work which cites, reproduces, or interprets non-published materials. The Library will not assume responsibility for infringement or libel.
- All published works, research papers, and exhibits that are based on, have reproductions of, or have been interpreted from the Center for Local History's non-published holdings must give credit to: "Center for Local History, Arlington Public Library".