Participation in Open Lab requires an active Library card, and a completed Maker User Agreement. Makers under age 18 who do not posses an active library card may use The Shop with permission of a parent/guardian with an active library card.
Most Shop tools are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Makers in The Shop Agree to the Following
- Check in with Shop staff upon arrival, using their Arlington County Public Library card.
- Check in with Shop staff each time they finish using a piece of equipment or start using a new piece of equipment in The Shop.
- Participate in mandatory safety training to use the Glowforge laser cutter. The Glowforge may not be used until certification training has been completed.
- Certify that he/she is capable of using tools in a safe and proper manner, when that tool does not require certification. The Shop staff will make manuals available upon request.
- Pay posted fees for any used Shop materials.
- Food / uncovered drinks are not allowed in The Shop.
- Projects can not be stored in The Shop.
- 3D printers are run by staff only.
Makers Under Age 18
- Makers under 18 must have a Maker User Agreement signed by a parent/guardian must before using The Shop.
- Makers under age 14 must be with their parents or caregivers in The Shop at all times.
- Wear clothing appropriate for using Shop tools. Closed toe shoes required; no sandals or slides.
- Use the provided safety supplies, including safety goggles, masks and gloves, as needed.
- Report any accident/incident that occurs on The Shop premises.
- Arlington County Public Library is not responsible for manufacturing defects in the quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any of the tools or equipment.
- The production of dangerous items and weapons is prohibited.
- Behavior deemed unsafe is not permitted; Library staff reserve the right to determine what is "unsafe behavior."
Shop Tool Use
- Shop tools may not be removed from The Shop.
- Return tools and equipment to staff in the same condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear.
- If a tool or piece of equipment becomes unsafe, immediately discontinue use and notify staff.
- Any loss or damage to shop tools or equipment during use will be paid for by the Maker. Makers agree to accept the Library staff’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency and/or loss of items in part or total.
- Take precautions to avoid causing unnecessary damage in The Shop, and clean workspace after use. Inform staff if unable to return a work surface, tool, or equipment to its original state.
Technology and equipment in The Shop are made possible in part by the Friends of the Arlington Public Library.