Request Books, Microfilm, Articles, and Materials Not Owned by the Library
To use Interlibrary Loan (ILL), you must be an Arlington County, Virginia, resident with a current library card in good standing.
- Submit an online Interlibrary Loan Request Form for each title. Please include any information about the title from citations, websites, etc.
- 5 active requests per patron.
- Requests usually take 3-6 weeks to fill.
- Pick up and return all ILL items at Central Library's 1st Floor Service Desk
How ILL Works
- Limit: 5 active requests per patron
- Wait Time: Requests usually take 3-6 weeks to fill.
- Pick Up: ILL staff will contact you when your items are ready. Pick up your items at the Central Library, 1st Floor Service Desk. At checkout, ILL items will be added to your Library Account.
- Return: ILL materials must be returned to the Central Library, 1st Floor Service Desk, not in a book drop. Patrons are responsible for keeping track of all ILL items and due dates. To request an exception on your due date, call or email ILL staff.
Please let ILL staff know if you no longer need a requested item.
Requests may be made for any items not owned by Arlington Public Library, with the following exceptions:
- No Music CDs, eBooks, eAudiobooks or Video Games.
- No items published or released within the past 6 months to one year; instead, submit a suggestion for the collection.
International Requests - The Library will only request photocopies from outside the US and Canada due to the complexity and cost in international shipping.
- Some libraries will provide electronic copies instead of photocopies, when allowed by their lending policies, but we cannot guarantee ILL copies in electronic format.
- Lending libraries generally restrict loans of textbooks, genealogy material and reference books
- Returning ILL items in library book drops instead of at the Central Library 1st Floor Service Desk may result in loss of ILL usage.
- Arlington Public Library does not currently charge patrons to use the Interlibrary Loan service.
- There may be a fee charged by lending libraries, or in the case of journal articles from the last 5 years (due to copyright compliance).
- In the event a fee is required, staff will consult with the patrons before confirming the item loan.