Request Books, Microfilm, Articles, and Materials Not Owned by the Library
To use Interlibrary Loan (ILL), you must be an Arlington County resident with a current library card in good standing.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) borrowing is currently limited to 5 active requests per patron.
- All service fees are suspended until further notice.
How Does Interlibrary Loan Work?
- Submissions: Submit an online Interlibrary Loan Request Form for each title. Please include any information about the title from citations, websites, etc.
- Limit: 5 active requests per patron.
- Wait Time: Requests usually take 3-6 weeks to fill. Please let ILL staff know if you no longer need a requested ILL item.
- Pick Up: ILL staff will contact you when your items are ready. Pick up your items at the Central Library, 2nd Floor Service Desk. At checkout, ILL items will be added to your Library Account.
- Return: Patrons are responsible for keeping track of all ILL items and due dates. ILL materials must be returned to a library service desk, not in a book drop.
What Can You Request?
Requests may be made for any items not owned by Arlington Public Library, with the following exceptions:
- No Music CDs
- No items published or released within the past 6 months to one year. Instead, please submit a suggestion for the collection.
- No downloadable audiobooks or eBooks
- Some libraries will provide electronic copies instead of photocopies, when allowed by their lending policies, but we cannot guarantee ILL copies in electronic format.
- Lending libraries generally restrict loans of textbooks, genealogy material and reference books
What Is the Cost of Interlibrary Loan?
- At this time, Arlington Public Library does not charge a base fee for Interlibrary Loan materials.
- There may be a fee of $10 - $30 assessed by lending libraries.