Added 7-29: Columbia Pike Branch Library will not be accepting donations of books, magazines and media from Aug. 1 through Aug. 21.
The Columbia Pike Branch Library will be closed from Monday, Aug. 16 through Saturday, Aug. 21 to allow for interior improvements.
The old carpet is being removed from a large portion of the facility, and much-awaited new carpeting will be installed in its place. Due to health and safety concerns, the branch cannot be open to the public during this work.
The carpet replacement project has been in the planning stage since 2006, with funds budgeted for the current fiscal year. A new centralized service desk, to handle both circulation and reference needs, also will be installed during the closure.
- Books and compact disks checked out from Columbia Pike beginning Monday, July 26 will not be due back until Tuesday, Aug. 31.
- DVDs checked out from Columbia Pike beginning Monday, Aug. 9 will not be due back until Tuesday, Aug. 31.
- The Columbia Pike branch book drop will remain open during the interior improvement work.
- Regardless of its source location, Arlington Public Library materials can always be returned at any one of the system’s eight sites.
- Materials on the Columbia Pike branch hold shelf at the close of business on Aug. 15 will be transferred to the Shirlington branch.
- Library staff can assist in having materials sent from Shirlington to another location.
- Holds pending for Columbia Pike users can be designated for pick-up at another location, if switched before Aug. 16 – or the hold can be frozen until the branch reopens.
The seven other Arlington Public Library sites will operate on a regular schedule during the week of Aug. 16.
The Columbia Pike Branch Library is located at 816 S. Walter Reed Drive at the Arlington Public Schools Career Center. The branch is open every day of the week except Thursday.
Is Columbia Pike library opening on Sunday August 22 or on Monday August 23?
The Librarians says
We'll be open Sunday, August 22, on our usual schedule: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.