|Oct. 25, 2011: VBCF’s Lydia Stewart presents Library Director Diane Kresh
with a check as part of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Arlington Public Library is taking the fight against breast cancer to a higher level with the help of a new $800 award from the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation.
The funds will go for new books on fighting and surviving the disease, ranging from preventative diet cook books to graphic novels. Each book will contain a special bookplate honoring the VBCF’s efforts. The Library will also display a variety of the foundation’s brochures on health maintenance and strategies for coping with cancer.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women except for skin cancers. The chances of developing invasive breast cancer at some time in a woman’s life is a little less than one in eight.
The books purchased with the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation award include:
- 100 Questions and Answers About Advanced and Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Better Than New (Insider Tips From a Glamour Girl on Surviving Breast Cancer, Mastectomy and Reconstruction)
- The Breast Cancer Companion: A Guide for the Newly Diagnosed
- The Breast Cancer Field Manual: A Guide for Young Women, Their Families and Friends
- Breast Cancer: 50 Essential Things to Do
- Cancer Vixen: A True Story
- Con Fe: Como Transformar Tu Vida Y Empezar de nuevo
- I Am Not My Hair: A Young Woman’s Journey and Triumph Over Breast Cancer
- Just Get Me Through This! A Practical Guide to Coping with Breast Cancer
- Now What? A Patient’s Guide to Recovery After Mastectomy
- The Pink Ribbon Diet: A Revolutionary New Weight Loss Plan to Lower Your Breast Cancer Risk
- Previvors: Facing the Breast Cancer Gene and Making Life-Changing Decisions
- Uplift: Secrets from the Sisterhood of Breast Cancer Survivors
- Waking the Warrior Goddess: Dr. Christine Horner’s Program to protect Against & Fight Breast Cancer
- The Whole Food Guide for Breast Cancer Survivors: A Nutritional Approach to Preventing Recurrence
- Yoga and Breast Cancer: A Journey to Health and Healing