Westover Branch Library will remain open during remediation for water damages and repairs to prevent further damage.
During inspections of the building envelop, leakage was noted at the upper level windows and the display windows adjacent to the entrance. The County has contracted a qualified window installer to remove and properly install the upper level windows and display case to fix the problems identified by a building envelop consultant.
- Repairs begin in mid-July. The work is expected to be completed by
late SeptemberOctober, but weather is always a consideration.
- The work crew will start at 7 a.m. and work to 6 p.m.
- Safety is a primary consideration. The scope of work will require us to install overhead protection at the main entrance to protect Library customers from the work occurring.
- At all times all material for this project will be secured in a fenced off area adjacent to Washington Blvd.
- Inside the Library, temporary walls will be constructed to prevent dust and mitigate noise as different areas are worked on.
- Maintaining and preserving furnishings, technology and art at Westover is important. All materials will either be relocated or stored securely. In particular, the Tiffany stained glass windows will be stored in a safe location on-site. Book collections will be relocated to another part of the building and will be accessible for browsing.
- The Library expects to remain open during the entire project. There may be a times when the work is noisy and we will work hard to keep it to the minimum.
- Arlington Public Schools programs hosted in the Reed School should not be impacted. There have been some leak issues involving windows on the Reed School side of the facility and Arlington Public Schools has been working to remedy that situation on a separate schedule.
- The Library is very involved at every step of the way. We welcome your feedback and will post updates on the Westover Branch Library page.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while the repairs are underway. It is our goal to preserve this beautiful space so we can serve the community well. Please share and distribute this information to your communities.