Pull Up a Chair for Summer Reading 2021
Join the Summer Reading Challenge to complete 30 days of reading!
Our theme this year is Food for Thought; you can support the Arlington Food Assistance Center while you read, zest up your summer with our menu of refreshing programs, and win tickets to Washington Nationals Games (while supplies last)!
How Summer Reading Works
- Register and track your reading in the Library App.*
- Read for 30 days to complete Summer Reading.
- Win prizes and enter fun raffles!
- Want to keep going? Become a Super Reader by completing three Bonus Challenges!
- Summer Reading Starts - June 1
- First Day to Pick Up Prizes - July 15
- Last Day to Start Reading - August 3
- Last Day to Complete Summer Reading - September 1
- Last Day to Pick Up Prizes - September 3
How to Participate
Register in the Library App to create a reading log for each reader in your household. Reading logs are separate from your Library Account, and are only used for Summer Reading.
Then track your reading until you get to 30 days.
- You can't read too little or too much on any day. Just track that you've read that day.
- You don't have to read for 30 days in a row. You can take days off! Just read until you get to 30 days total.
For each reader who completes 30 Days of Summer Reading:
- The Friends of the Arlington Public Library will donate $1 to the Arlington Food Assistance Center, to support their ongoing work in obtaining and distributing groceries, directly and free of charge, to people living in Arlington who cannot afford to purchase enough food to meet their basic needs.
- The Washington Nationals will offer each reader one voucher (good for two tickets) to select August/September baseball games (while supplies last).
Kids (rising 5th grade and under) - All children who complete Summer Reading will get to select a free book at open Library branches or Library Truck stops at Library branches.
Teens (rising 6th - 12th grade) - Teens who complete Summer Reading will be entered into a raffle for a $50 Visa gift card. Gift cards will be emailed directly to the winners on September 2.
Adults - Adults who complete Summer Reading will be entered into a raffle to earn $50 electronic gift certificates to favorite local Arlington restaurants: Good Company, Jaleo (Crystal City), Queen Mother’s, Gaijin Ramen Shop, Crystal Thai, Circa, Damn Good Burger Company, and Lebanese Taverna Group. Gift certificates will be emailed directly to the winners on September 2.
Become a Super Reader! After reading for 30 days, complete 3 Bonus Challenges to win an additional prize of your choice. Prizes include Library totes, book lights, water bottles and more.
Unable to track your Summer Reading progress online? If you are using the paper log, you will need to let us know once you've completed the challenge. Report your completion in person or by phone at any open Library location. We will need your name, age, and a phone number or email address to contact you if you win the raffle prizes.
Why Is Summer A Great Time to Read?
Summer Reading helps kids and teens avoid "summer slide," and reintroduces them to the joy of reading for pleasure. It gives parents and kids an excuse to read or listen to books together, and it gives adults a reason to explore new books and authors.