Pull Up a Chair for Summer Reading 2021
Join the Summer Reading Challenge to complete 30 days of reading!
Our theme this year is Food for Thought; you can support the Arlington Food Assistance Center while you read, zest up your summer with our menu of refreshing programs, and qualify to win tasty prizes!
How Summer Reading Works
- Register and track your reading in the Library App.*
- Read for 30 days to complete Summer Reading.
- Win prizes and enter fun raffles!
- Want to keep going? Become a Super Reader by completing three Bonus Challenges!
- Summer Reading Starts - June 1
- Spinning Into Summer: Kickoff Celebration - June 11
- Last Day to Start Reading - August 3
- Last Day to Complete Summer Reading - September 1
- Last Day to Pick Up Prizes - September 3
How to Participate
Register in the Library App to create a reading log for each reader in your household. Reading logs are separate from your Library Account, and are only used for Summer Reading.
Then track your reading until you get to 30 days.
- You can't read too little or too much on any day. Just track that you've read that day.
- You don't have to read for 30 days in a row. You can take days off! Just read until you get to 30 days total.
Read for 30 days to complete Summer Reading.
All Ages - For each reader who finishes the Summer Reading challenge, the Friends of the Arlington Public Library will donate $1 to the Arlington Food Assistance Center, to support their ongoing work in obtaining and distributing groceries, directly and free of charge, to people living in Arlington who cannot afford to purchase enough food to meet their basic needs.
Kids (rising 5th grade and under) - All children who complete Summer Reading will get to select a free book during the last two weeks of August at open Library branches or Library Truck stops at Library branches.
Teens (rising 6th - 12th grade) - Teens who complete Summer Reading will be entered into a raffle for a $50 Visa gift card. Gift cards will be emailed directly to the winners on September 2.
Adults - Adults who complete Summer Reading will be entered into a raffle to earn $50 electronic gift certificates to favorite local Arlington restaurants: Good Company, Jaleo (Crystal City), Queen Mother’s, Gaijin Ramen Shop, Crystal Thai, Circa, Damn Good Burger Company, and Lebanese Taverna Group. Gift certificates will be emailed directly to the winners on September 2.
If you are unable to track your Summer Reading progress online and are using the paper log, you will need to let us know once you've completed the challenge. We will need your name, age, and a phone number or email address to contact you if you win the raffle prizes. You can report your completion:
- In person at open Library locations
- By text - 703-783-3898 (Monday – Saturday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.)
- By phone - 703-228-5990 (Monday – Saturday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.)
Why Is Summer A Great Time to Read?
Summer Reading helps kids and teens avoid "summer slide," and reintroduces them to the joy of reading for pleasure. It gives parents and kids an excuse to read or listen to books together, and it gives adults a reason to explore new books and authors.