Summer Reading Goes Digital for 2020
Join Arlington Public Library’s all-online Summer Reading Challenge! Explore tons of fun online programs and challenges, support the Arlington Food Assistance Center while you read, and get the chance to win fun prizes!
How Summer Reading Works
- Read and track your days
- Everyone who reads for 30 days earns $1 for AFAC
- Take part in Summer Reading Challenges - every entry earns a raffle ticket for cool prizes
- Summer Reading Starts - June 1
- Last Day to Start Reading - August 3
- Last Day to Complete Summer Reading - September 1
How to Participate
Sign up online in Beanstack
Track your reading each day in Beanstack or the Beanstack App until you get to 30 days.
- You can't read too little or too much on any day. Just track that you've read that day.
- You don't have to read for 30 days in a row. You can take days off! Just read until you get to 30 days total.
Prizes - Read for the Arlington Food Assistance Center
For each reader who finishes the Summer Reading challenge, the Friends of the Arlington Public Library will donate $1 to the Arlington Food Assistance Center, to support their ongoing work in obtaining and distributing groceries, directly and free of charge, to people living in Arlington who cannot afford to purchase enough food to meet their basic needs.
For safety reasons, this summer we can not offer a physical prize for each person who completes Summer Reading.
- You can earn raffle tickets for fun prizes by logging your reading for the biweekly Beanstack Reader Raffle, participating in six Bonus Challenges, and submitting work to Quaranzine. Learn more.
Grand Prize Raffle - Logging your reading through Beanstack / the Beanstack App automatically enrolls you in the Grand Prize raffle when you reach 30 days.
If you are unable to track your Summer Reading progress online and are using the paper form, report your completion. We will need your name, age, and a phone number or email address to contact you if you win.
- Text - 703-783-3898
- Phone - 703-228-5990
- Online Chat
- Monday - Thursday, 12 - 7 p.m., Friday - Saturday, 12 - 5 p.m.
Why Is Summer A Great Time to Read?
Summer Reading helps kids and teens avoid "summer slide," and reintroduces them to the joy of reading for pleasure. It gives parents and kids an excuse to read or listen to books together, and it gives adults a reason to explore new books and authors.