This January 1, 1945 message of hope was made during World War 2, from a short lived, hyper local newspaper called the Columbia News.
The Columbia News was published semimonthly in Arlington from 1941 - 1945, by Eugene Beard, starting on January 18, 1941. The Center for Local History holds the Vol. 1, No. 1 edition, some from 1944, and some from 1945. We are in the process of digitizing these holdings, and they will soon be available to view through the Library catalog. (The Library of Congress and the Library of Virginia also have some editions on microfilm.)
To see more historic newspapers like this one, visit us at the Center for Local History located on the 1st floor of Central Library.