1960s Courthouse Demolished Sixteen Years Ago
[iframe width=”100%” scrolling=”no” url=”http://libcat.arlingtonva.us/iii/cpro/EmbedSlideShowPage.external?lang=eng&sp=l6&suite=def” frameborder=”0″]
At 7 a.m. on Feb. 23, 1997, the shell of the old Arlington County Courthouse came down in an impressive, yet controlled, implosion. Located across the street from the current courthouse and correctional center, the building was opened in 1960 with great fanfare, as it was a vast improvement over the original courthouse from 1898. However, the 1960 building had lots of asbestos and no sprinkler or fire alarm system, and a major fire in 1990 was its death knell. The county completed the current courthouse building in 1995, and the 1960 building was used by the fire department for training exercises until its demolition. The area is now a parking lot.
This series of photographs by County Photographer Deborah Ernst give a dramatic view of the implosion and the rubble it left behind.