Preparations Underway for New Express Service at Two Locations
The Arlington County Board has allocated funding to reopen two Branch Library locations – Shirlington and Westover – for Express Library Service. Preparations are underway, and service is planned to begin as soon as January 2021.
What is Express Library Service?
- Patrons will be able to browse collections, check out materials and pick up holds.
- Patrons will use self-serve checkout stations.
- All other services will be unavailable, including public seating, meeting rooms and public computers.
- Occupancy will be limited; patrons will be asked to take no more than 30 minutes inside the library.
- State and local public health guidelines will apply.
- Service will operate during select days and times, including on weekends.
What does this mean for the Library?
When Express Library Service begins at Shirlington and Westover, Central Library will continue to operate the current Holds Pickup Service in the Auditorium. All other library locations will remain closed (including the Columbia Pike Branch, which is under construction).
What are our next steps?
More details about Express Library Service will be published in late December. Arlington County is closely monitoring public health data, and Library operational plans are subject to change as necessary.
Please continue to send us your feedback. We read and consider all comments.