Computers for Public Use
Our computer reservation system will assign you the next available computer for same-day use, or you can reserve a session up to 7 days in advance.
- An Arlington library card is required for computer use
- Visitors not eligible for a library card can be issued a 90-day computer card at the library
- All reservations must be made in-person at the library
- You may only have one session or reservation at a time, per day
- Session lengths are 15 minutes, 30 minutes or 60 minutes
- Usage is limited to 180 minutes per person, per day, per location
- A missed reservation counts toward the 180 minute limit
Hardware & Software
- All computers have USB ports, CD-RW/DVD drive, and 2 headphone jacks. You may purchase earbud-style headphones from the library for $1.00
- All computers have Internet access via Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers, Adobe Acrobat Reader, and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Central Library and the Aurora Hills, Columbia Pike, Shirlington and Westover branches have scanners for public use.
External Storage Devices
- You may save to CD, or USB memory stick
- You may purchase a USB memory stick for $5.00
- Black-and-white laser printing is available at $.15 per page
- Color printing is only available for children using the computers in the Youth area at Central Library, at $1.00 per page
- Payment must be made in cash
- Library Staff can help start programs and access the Internet, but cannot provide tutoring or hands-on assistance
- One-on-one tech-tutoring is available by appointment at multiple locations.
Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities
- All computers have Magnifier software as part of the Windows operating system (Start > Programs > Accessories > Accessibility)
- Central Library and the Columbia Pike Branch each have one workstation equipped with screen reader software, ZoomText magnifying software, a larger monitor, and adjustable table height to allow wheelchair access. The Aurora Hills, Glencarlyn, Shirlington and Westover branches each have one ZoomTEXT workstation. Qualified users can reserve ZoomTEXT workstations in advance by calling their preferred library location.
Rules and Guidelines
- Public Computer Use Rules
- Acceptable Use Policy for Internet Browsing
- Rules Governing the Use of the Library